Skin Brightening Laser Treatment
We understand that dark shadows can be embarrassing for a lot of people, especially in the Summer. When all you want is to wear a sleeveless dress or bikini but are afraid people will stare at you. We’ve been there and we hear you! At City Laser Clinic we are able to lighten and brighten any shadows to match the surrounding skin. We do this by using our Q-switched laser, carbon mask, and sometimes our Co2 laser. It is a non-invasive technique that is safe, non-painful, and produces visible results within just a few sessions. As a bonus – there is also no downtime required!
What Areas of the Body Can You Treat?
We can treat shadowing anywhere on the body. However please note that we do not aim to lighten your natural skin colour. We only want to match any darker shadows to the rest of the skin. You will usually find this shadowing on your underarms, bikini, brazilian, perianal, areola (nipples), neck, knees, and elbows.
The Skin Brightening Procedure
Our procedure for skin brightening is safe, comfortable and mild on the skin. We treat the dark shadows using the Medlite Q-Switched laser. By using this laser, we are able to brighten, lighten, and rejuvenates your skin as it is passes the area. It won’t be painful, however you may feel a warm tingling sensation during the process.
- We start by removing any sweat or deodorant you may have on the area.
- For the first few treatments, we will then apply of our carbon mask.
- Once you are comfortable and the safety goggles are secured to protect your eyes, we will use the Q-switched laser to safely remove the carbon mask.
- After removing the carbon mask, we will go over the skin again with just the laser. This is so we can get to the deeper pigmentation!
- ~10mins later, your treatment is complete and you can return to your day without any discomfort.
If you are concerned about the side effects of engaging in skin lightening laser treatments, then you have nothing to worry about. You may experience a mild tingling sensation and slight redness over the treated area up to 2 hours after the procedure. However there is nothing else of enormous significance that you need to worry about. You can go back to your daily routine in no time when you apply our prescribed lightening products immediately after the process.
Why Q-Switched Skin Brightening Treatment?
Some dark skin conditions are so severe that they don’t respond to even the strongest lightening creams. The Q-Switched Laser Treatment has a deep penetrating ability on the skin. It is able to break down the melanin that is causing most of the dark pigmentation. When paired with the carbon mask or co2 laser, we are able to treat both surface & deeper pigmentation at the same time.
The laser treatment adopts the principle of ‘selective photo-thermolysis’, that makes use of a particular wavelength to correct a specific skin condition. Compared to Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) for skin lightening, the Q-Switch laser is stronger, more effective, and highly customizable for targeted areas.
Causes of Underarm Pigmentation
It is important to know the causes of your pigmentation so that you can prevent the pigmentation from occurring or worsening. You will also want to prevent the pigmentation from re-occurring after your skin brightening treatments. Some factors may even be considered as a symptom of an underlying medical condition.
Things you can avoid:
- Chemical based deodorants.
- Constant shaving. We recommend having laser hair removal (LHR) prior to skin brightening treatments. In many cases, our clients are happy with the colouring of their underarms after LHR treatments. So much so that skin brightening sessions are no longer necessary.
- Friction from tight clothing.
Possible medical factors:
- Over secretion of melanin by the body. The medical term for this condition is ‘Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation’ (PIH). You may have this if you have been burnt, had a skin infection, atopic eczema, or constant friction on the area.
- Acanthosis Nigricans. This is a skin condition that can be caused from diabetes, insulin resistance, and/or obesity. You can usually find it on the armpits, groin, and neck areas. Some of its symptoms include a rash. rough texture and skin tags. If you think that you may suffer from this, please check in with your doctor for a medical check-up.
- Imbalanced hormones.
Causes of Genital Pigmentation
We get it – there’s already immense [social] pressure when wearing a bikini or when becoming intimate with a new partner. The least thing you need to worry about is how dark or light your skin is! The first step is to establish why you might have the pigmentation in the first place. It is important to know the causes of pigmentation so that you can prevent the pigmentation from occurring or worsening. It will also prevent the pigmentation from re-occurring after your skin brightening treatments. Some factors may even be considered as a symptom of an underlying medical condition.
Let’s examine the causes so that we can identify the necessary preventative measures to put in place.
- Constant shaving. This is why we recommend undergoing laser hair removal (LHR) prior to skin brightening treatments. In many cases, our clients are happy with the colouring of their brazilian after LHR treatments. So much so that skin brightening sessions are no longer necessary.
- Friction from tight underwear.
- An accumulation of dead skin.
- Over secretion of melanin by the body. The medical term for this condition is ‘Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation’ (PIH). It is aggravated by burns, skin infections, atopic eczema, and constant friction. In most cases, over-the-counter lightening creams do not work with PIH as the condition lies more in-depth than the others.